Lilly Undergrad Manufacturing Science – Intern in Indianapolis, Indiana
Type of Employment:
Manufacturing Science Overview:
• ensuring reliability of our manufacturing and utility systems
• searching for and implementing continuous improvements
• maintaining our facilities and processes in a state of compliance with US and global regulations
• managing capital projects
• designing and developing drug delivery systems
The positions are temporary summer internship positions that last for 12 CONTINUOUS weeks beginning in May or June 2019. Each science intern will be assigned a project affording the opportunity to actively contribute to the Tech Services Manufacturing Sciences (TSMS) or Quality organizations, building a comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, and the role scientists play in creating solutions for Eli Lilly and Company. These roles include areas such as science and technology direct process support
as well as analytical laboratory support. This intern position exposes one to the technology, science, and regulatory requirements for making commercialized life-saving medicine in therapeutic areas including: diabetes, oncology, endocrinology, and animal health.
Interns will interact with other engineering, manufacturing, and science professionals, including Lilly senior management. Professional development and social events will be held throughout the summer. At the conclusion of the work period, each intern will present their project highlights, findings and general internship accomplishments to science and manufacturing professionals.
Project opportunities are available in, but not limited to, the following areas:
• Dry Products (tablets)
• Parenteral Products (injectable)
• Bulk Processing (small and large molecule)
• Small Molecule Design & Development
• Provide a practical real-life solution to a manufacturing business related technical project
• Understand the scientific principles required for manufacturing pharmaceutical substances, including the interaction with equipment.
• Provide technical support to non-routine (e.g. deviation) investigations.
• Be capable of preparing relevant technical documents, such as Reports, Change Controls, Regulatory submissions, Deviations, Protocols, etc.
• Utilize the principles of Good Laboratory Practices/Good Manufacturing Practices and principles to analyze process intermediates, active pharma ingredients, and drug product in a Quality Control Lab (QCL) using analytical techniques such as: wet chemistry, HPLC, ICP, AA, Titration, and/or Microbiological Assays.
• Actively run a technical improvement agenda within area of responsibility to drive process improvement
• Monitor and appropriately react to established statistically based metrics in real-time to assess process variability and capability.
• Work within cross-functional teams in a positive fashion to implement TSMS or Quality objectives and deliver on business plan and quality objectives.
• Work individually and with a supervisor to determine and achieve project goals driving process productivity through the implementation and execution of the project.
• Document and present project accomplishments and progress.
Currently attending college and completion of BS or MS scientific discipline degree by August 2020
Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States via a J-1 visa. Eli Lilly and Company does not anticipate providing sponsorship for full-time employment visa status (e.g., H-1B status) beyond this employment position.
Analysis/problem assessment skills, communication (oral and written) skills, information monitoring skills, quality orientation, and teamwork/interpersonal skills
Previous internship experience within the pharmaceutical industry
• Positions located in Indianapolis, IN
• All interns will be considered for full-time positions based on their internship performance
• Lilly arranges various intern activities including sporting events, dinners, lunch and learns, etc. to provide opportunities for socializing, professional development, and learning more about Lilly.
• Interns will receive a competitive salary and free parking at their work site, as well as access to Lilly’s
LIFE fitness center and bike garage
• If the intern's job position requires a move from another location, Lilly will provide subsidized housing
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Who We Are:
Lilly is a global healthcare leader that unites caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world.
We’re a Fortune 500 company, determined to bring life-changing medicines to those who need them and give back to communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. To learn more about Lilly, please visit us at
• A Purposeful Career—bringing together people who discover and deliver life-changing medicines that improve peoples’ lives around the world.
• A Balance of Work and Life—creating an environment for employees to be productive in both their lives and their work.
• An Opportunity for Growth—providing opportunities for each individual to develop and advance professionally.
• A Diverse Culture—committed to uniting individuals across cultures, and developing a comfortable, connected, environment that values diverse thought.
• A Vibrant Community—headquartered in downtown Indianapolis, Ind. — Time Magazine ranked Indianapolis a top 10 city to start a new career in. Read more about living in Indianapolis at downtownindy.org.
We’re looking for:
• Highly motivated and driven leaders
• Individuals with integrity, excellence and respect for people.
• Individuals who want to make a difference in someone else’s life.
Req Id: 43344BR